25 Common relationship problems
Relationship or marital problems come in all shapes and sizes. So, If you're feeling distraught, worn out or desperate for help then please remember that you are not alone, and you are now in the right place.
As a qualified and experienced couple counsellor I have been with many individuals and couples who have experienced these feelings. My expert knowledge has allowed me to help them to understand how and why they are struggling. They learned how to deal with their problems, solve them and move forward.
I really hope that I can help you too, no matter what problems you are experiencing. I have listed below the most common relationship problems which is the best way for your exploration to begin…
A close couple relationship - so longed for and yet so often bafflingly difficult to achieve and maintain!
"Your website really helped me...
... through a very rough night I had after an argument with my boyfriend.
Your site is very well written and exactly what I needed to read. I read some of the articles multiple times throughout the night."
25 Most common relationship problems
Here is the list of the most common relationship problems my clients most often came to see me for. Follow the link to the page you're most interested in for help on how to deal with your particular relationship problem.
If you are in immediate need to speak with someone in confidence, you can connect with an expert online counsellor - free of charge for 7 days.
- Affairs/infidelity/cheating (see: Surviving Infidelity and Infidelity Warning Signs). This includes emotional infidelity, one-night stands, internet relationships (including 'sexting'), long- and short-term affairs and financial infidelity
- Sexual problems, particularly loss of libido (male and female) and uncertainty about your sexuality (are you bisexual?) or your partner's sexuality - could he or she be bisexual?
- Significant differences in core values and beliefs
- Life stages - you've 'outgrown' each other or have 'changed' significantly for whatever reason
- Traumatic and/or life-changing events (see also: Brain Injury Symptoms)
- Responses to prolonged periods of stress, such as work-related stress, long-term illness, mental health issues, financial problems, problems with the children, infertility... the list could go on!
- Feeling bored in or with your relationship
- Dealing - and coping - with a jealous partner
- Having 'blended' family issues (see: My Partner's Children Don't Want to Know Me)
- Domestic violence, which includes verbal as well as physical abuse: THE most serious relationship problem (see: Signs of an Abusive Relationship)
- Knowing you shouldn't have got married in the first place! (See my relationship or marriage compatibility test: Stay or Walk Away)
- Lack of responsibility from one partner regarding finances, children, health and many other issues (see: Children in the Middle)
- Unrealistic expectations - still thinking your partner/spouse is the princess or the knight, and not seeing the 'real' human being
- Addictions - substance abuse, gambling, sex... anything that's become an unhealthy preoccupation (see: Alcoholism Stages and Living with an Alcoholic)
- Excessive reliance on social media, to the detriment of the relationship (see: Facebook Problems)
- Lack of support during particularly difficult times from people that matter to you
- Manipulation of, or over-involvement in, your relationships with family and/or friends (see: Getting the Best Relationship Advice)
- Lack of communication about important matters (see: Break-up Prevention Kit)
- Poor division of (or one-sided lack of responsibility for) chores and tasks. It's not only women who complain about this relationship problem!
- Perceived lack of concern, care and consideration/attentiveness... feeling like the relationship is one-sided is a big one!
- Significant personal disappointments and traumas that lead to a change in relationship dynamics (see: Your Partner in Prison)
- Long-term depression or other mental health issues suffered by one partner - or both (see: Natural Depression Treatments)
- Significant differences in opinion on how to discipline or deal with the children (see: How Divorce Affects Children and Children in the Middle)
- Long-term stress, particularly when not taking responsibility for doing something positive to address the cause, or learning how to deal with it if it can't be changed (see: Stress and Your Relationship and Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms)
- An unsupportive partner during pregnancy and/or significant problems after the birth of your baby, or lack of support with child-rearing (see: How to Deal with a Birth Trauma and Before You Consider Suing for a Birth Trauma)
I wouldn’t be surprised if you have found that you are experiencing several of these relationship problems, but you know what? However difficult this time is for you I promise you that this too will pass. I am rooting for you and I know that you will be happy again. You don’t have to wait and hope for better times – together we can do something about it now!
The person you love (or used to love) was always bound to hurt you - it's sadly a fact of life and we all do it to each other. However, we can become better at solving our relationship problems by taking responsibility for ourselves.
Read on for Further Advice on Relationship Problems in Part 3...
Are You Really Compatible?
Fear of Commitment
Does Your Partner Suffer from OCD?
Free or Affordable Marriage Counselling
How to Find the Best Divorce Attorney
Is Your Partner Cheating on You?
Dealing with Jealousy
Get an expert to help you now...
Your problem is never too small or too big, too silly or too complicated to ask for help from a professional counsellor (connect for FREE for 7 days, as often as you like - chat, phone or email).
Connect now and get your problem sorted in 3 easy steps:
- Click the image below and fill in the simple online questionnaire (it takes just a few minutes)
- Tick what kind of counsellor you'd like (2 short questionnaires)
- Confirm that you're as sincere as your counsellor will be and enter your credit card details (no payment will be taken, unless you want to carry on beyond the 7 days free*).
Don't need help beyond the first week? Simply cancel your subscription.
*If you can afford it - do extend your subscription beyond the first week. You won't believe what a breath of fresh air it is to have a professional by your side!
Click the image below now to start...
I want to be absolutely open with you - I earn a commission from this programme.
Found this page helpful?
Please, pay it forward - click 'Like'...
Hello you! :-)
It's me - Elly Prior, I'm the Founder and Author of this site. I'm a 'real' person! I'm hoping to make a positive difference, small or large, to every person who visits my site.
Do you need some help? There are counsellors waiting to help you right now. You can connect with your counsellor as often as you want on any device - 7 DAYS FOR FREE! (Cancel if you don't want any further help beyond the 7 days).
OR... ask for help here (please keep it short!)