Are you sure your online relationship isn't really a scam?
Learn about the dangers on internet dating
Could you be the victim of internet dating fraud?
When you've found this page, you may very unfortunately already have fallen prey to an internet dating scammer. You may have been seduced by their charm with terrible consequences for your financial, mental and emotional health.
If you suspect you're being scammed, please read on and take heed...
This is where internet dating fraud happens
Your online date won't be comfortably sitting at the kitchen table, wherever they're proclaiming to live.
This is what his or her circumstances really look like:
6 Facts about online dating scammers
- Scammers work from internet cafe's or 'call centres' with a team of 'colleagues' - mostly women
- These are most often in secret locations mainly in west Africa (Gambia and Nigeria)
- They defend their fortresses violently if need be (talk about internet dating dangers! Even if it didn't do you any harm, it's certainly harming someone else.)
- As 'employees' they are often poor and uneducated (as opposed to their master, this is often their only means of being able to provide for their family)
- If unable to write in English (or other language), the keyboard will be handled by an out of view accomplice
- The object of your affection and your undivided attention will have a 'portfolio of clients' in different countries
Internet dating fraud is a widespread problem! The danger of internet dating therefore is that you could lose your heart and your money!
What the scamming looks like
Here is how a scammer builds a relationship with you (also see: How you're being catfished):
- They're likely to have a profile so super-duper that you can't believe your luck that 'someone like that' would be interested in a 'mere mortal' like you
- They will have hunted down and copied a mug-shot and other photos from the internet - men/women in uniform, official photos, professional-looking photos... you get my drift
- They will be hugely attentive, thoughtful and full of compliments about your looks and your achievements. They're good and you don't need to be embarrassed if you're not seduced by that!
- They will proclaim their undying love for you
Make no mistake - internet dating fraud is a very successful 'line of business'. The scammers are 'skilful' and they earn a ton (for their masters)!
Have the plans to meet each other gone awry?
When your relationship has really taken off and you're smitten - you can think of little else but your next contact - surely you should now meet.
You'll have discussed how, when and where. You can't wait to put your arms around him or her.
Here's what is likely to happen:
- Then there's an 'incident' - such as, for example, a terrible accident, an ill parent or a robbery.
- they'll be full of sorrow, worry and - tellingly - short of money, and insufficient funds to buy that ticket to come and see you
- you'll feel sorry for them!
- you give them a loan
- they ask for more, and more...
Danger signs of internet dating fraud
Here is when you should be suspicious:
- You have met them on a free internet dating site (free internet dating sites can be dangerous places!)
- They proclaim to be rich, beautiful - with photos to boot, famous or in any other way successful
- They profess their love far too quickly
- They want you to keep your relationship a secret
- They will want to use an instant messenger, emails or any other service that can't be monitored away from the dating site
- They will inevitably ask for money
Remember: if it looks or sounds too good to be true, it most likely isn't!
And please, don't be hard on yourself. Do read all my advice on my page about Being Catfished and Online Relationships.
Online dating? Background checks are vital!
It's relatively easy to protect yourself somewhat when you're dating on- or offline by just doing some searches. Spokeo makes it particularly easy to find out who you're really dating...
Facebook obsessions and hacks
How to get over someone
How to get over a relationship
How to get a nervous breakdown
Feeling hurt, angry, stressed or depressed? Get BetterHelp!
Here's how you start your FREE week-long connection with a qualified counsellor in three easy steps...
Remember your problem is never too small, or too big!
And the counsellors are capable and happy to help you wether you're in the US, the UK or anywhere else in the world.
- Click the image below and fill in the simple online questionnaire (it takes just a few minutes)
- Tick what kind of counsellor you'd like (2 short questionnaires)
- Confirm that you're as sincere as your counsellor will be and enter your credit card details (no payment will be taken, unless you want to carry on). Don't need help beyond the first week? Simply cancel your subscription.
If you can afford it - do extend your subscription beyond the first week. You won't believe what a breath of fresh air it is to have a professional by your side!
Click the image below now to start...
Please pay it forward, click 'Like'...
Comments, reviews and feedback
It's me - Elly Prior, I'm the Founder and Author of this site. I'm a 'real' person! I'm hoping to make a positive difference, small or large, to every person who visits my site.
Feel free to comment, but please keep it short!
Alternatively, make use of the BetterHelp free online counselling offer. If you're reading this - I know you're in need of help. You'll find it a huge relief to get the support from a qualified counsellor! CLICK HERE NOW for further information.