You are here:
› Natural treatments for depression
Effective natural treatments for depression
You stay in control of your own recovery with proven natural or alternative treatments for depression. There are no nasty side-effects from these treatments. To motivate you, do listen to at least the first few minutes of the interview on the video!
It may be that you feel your depression is in part due to relationship problems. By treating your depression naturally you are going to be much more capable of doing something about that too. You'll find plenty resources on my site to help you improve your relationship or marriage.
Important: please seek help from a doctor or mental health professional right now if you are feeling suicidal at this moment.
What you need to know about prescribed antidepressants
Watch/listen to find out why you really want to use natural treatments for depression rather than take the 'happy pills' your doctor might prescribe.
How to overcome depression without medication
The great of advantage of using natural treatments for depression is that you make your own choices. That is SO important to look for alternative treatment for depression when you want to beat that horrible condition! I have a whole list on this page to help you cope with all the symptoms on the road to a permanent recovery.
Taking prescribed antidepressants often contributes to you feeling out of control. The drugs are causing whatever is happening to you, not your own efforts. Feeling powerless in the face of life-events may even have caused your depression in the first place.
Unfortunately prescribed antidepressants are also more likely to increase your chances of suffering further episodes of depression.
All the more reason to treat that depression naturally. This includes using herbal remedies and supplements, all of which you'll find on my page Alternative Medicine for Depression.
Your own body is very capable of producing the very best and safest of natural antidepressants. It only needs a bit of encouragement with some alternative treatments and kindness.
It’s really important that you start taking care of yourself with the benefit of the best advice available. That’s why I’m here for you now.
Natural treatments for depression - Start here
Grade your mood before starting with alternative treatment or medicine for your depression
When you use natural treatments to beat your depression you want to be able to track your progress and recovery. So, it's important to grade your recovery.
Consider how you are feeling between 0 and 10 before and after any activity, where 0 = suicidal and 10 = ‘deliriously’ happy. You can fill in the 'in-betweens'.
Remember that if you are feeling low, you may not necessarily be suffering from depression - you may just be having a lousy day. No natural depression treatments needed for that! Just make sure that your essential emotional needs are met. Check out my page on the Human Givens for further information.
6 Tips for treating your depression without medication
Do these every day to keep moving forward step-by-step:
- Decide on - and commit to - actions that are most likely to make you feel good first thing in the morning.
- Plan your day - hour-by-hour Set realistic, achievable goals, so that you can measure your success.
- Reward yourself after any activity that is not immediately rewarding in itself.
- Focus on what is going well, however small a step!
- Track your progress in an online journal
Natural cures for depression
Start with one activity to improve your mood today!
None of the following activities require you to take any medication whatsoever and yet all contribute to you feeling better - much better - very quickly.
They may not be the natural cures you are looking for, but a combination of natural remedies and some of the activities below will help to cure you.
- Familiarise yourself with 'earthing' (search also YouTube for videos on how to do it safely). This is the one of the simplest strategies to overcome depression that is not necessarily going to cost you anything. Dr Billy has also written about how inflammation is reduced by earthing and explains the link between inflammation and depression (link below).
- Rekindle an old passion and use your knowledge to build an online business. If these people could do it, you can do it too! I did it too and believe me, I wasn't tech-savvy.
- Go for a massage or reflexology. Or do a course in massage yourself!
- Go for a brisk walk or a cycle ride (at least 30 mins three times a week). Aerobic exercise increases feel-good hormones (endorphins) in your body.
- Join a gym or aerobic exercise class. Have a look at this 9 minute video (# 2 of 7) about the benefits of exercise for depression. Dr Mercola here is interviewing medical journalist Robert Whitaker, who has written several books about the dangers of antidepressants. I encourage you watch at the very least the first part of the seven in this series.
- Go swimming regularly. Take swimming lessons - learning any new skill helps.
- Meditate - Type Mindful Meditation in the Hypnosis search box on this page
- Join a tai chi or yoga class - fantastic for lowering stress and feeling great.
- Do something creative - dig out your long-forgotten projects or find a new course to take.
- Eliminate your anxiety forever with Panic Miracle.
- Stop giving yourself a hard time! Relentlessly bullying yourself generates depression.
- Check out the proven remedy: MindSoothe from Native Remedies.
- Make that decision - stop procrastinating! I really want you to take action, because you're not going to get better hiding under the duvet or slouched on the couch aimlessly flicking through TV channels.
5 tips to stop negative thinking
- Keep a Journal / diary and note down during the day when you FEEL OK. It will deal with your negative bias and you might be pleasantly surprised.
- Notice and challenge ‘black and white’ / ’all or nothing’ thinking and listen out for it in other people, without judging it in either yourself or others. Focusing on others will stop you becoming too self-absorbed.
- Allow yourself time to worry (if you really need to!) – but at the most, just half an hour a day.
- Write your worries down to ‘separate’ yourself from them at that time. This is one of the best natural depression treatments. You are not your worries - there is SO much more to you!
- Make a list of six things to distract yourself when you find yourself worrying, so that you can focus your attention outwards, rather than inwards.
10 tips to raise your self-esteem
Here are some sure-fire ideas to help you to feel better about yourself and to get rid of that depression. You can also find further information on my page about how to Improve Your Self-Esteem.
- Turbo-charge your self-esteem with the Build Your Self-Esteem hypnosis download (via my page Hypnosis Online FAQ)
- Stretch yourself - physically, intellectually and emotionally. Self-esteem comes from being competent in several areas of your life. Ensure you set achievable goals - you want to be pleased with yourself TODAY.
- However awful you might feel - do look out for things you can be grateful for
- Frequently remind yourself of your achievements: passing an exam, a recent promotion, bringing up children, organising a party, managing a move, sorting finances, finishing a project, or simply going out. Write them all down!
- Find and get involved with a new interest, perhaps something you have always wanted to do. Maybe contact your Adult Education Centre or local college.
- Do some voluntary work to help you meet your emotional needs.
- Remind yourself that there is no failure, only feedback.
- Look after yourself: create a super healthy menu for the week, then go shopping! Tip: leave out anything with sugar - it causes inflammation in your body which has now been linked with depression*.
- If you have a weight problem - don't make yourself miserable by following yet another diet, unless it's been prescribed by a professional for health reasons. Remember: 9 out of 10 diets fail. Hypnosis may help.
- Save Your Marriage or Relationship - click on the link to read my review of the marriage repair system by Lee Baucom, PhD.
How are you sleeping at the moment?
Sleep and dreaming are absolutely vital for mental health. Advice on natural depression treatments should always include advice on how to improve sleep.
- First and foremost, follow the advice on changing negative introspection.
- Absorb the advice on exercise.
- Visit my page on Natural Sleep Remedies or Insomnia and Treatments to start your exploration
- Solve problems you do have a measure of control over. Visit my page on Problem Solving Strategies and Techniques.
The very best natural depression treatments
You can get better - all by yourself, by using natural depression treatments! Look at all the ideas offered here. There must be some that really appeal to you.
Don't rely on one or two - decide on several. Keep an eye on your budget of course - I wouldn't want you to add to any money problems you might already have.
Bit by bit you can piece your life back together. The colour will return and you can feel better than ever! 'Trying' is only the start. You just have to believe it and go for it. You deserve to feel happy.
One of the easiest ways to achieve this, and one of my favourite natural depression treatments, is by using hypnosis. It will calm your emotions, settle you down and lift your mood. It is one of the best alternative treatments for depression, and I strongly recommend the safe and effective Complete Depression Recovery Formula. Have a look at it yourself on my page FAQ About Hypnosis. Or discover and download whatever treatment you need right now to help you get over your present difficulties by entering your problem in the search box below.
We're not done yet! Read on... Part 2: How to Deal with Depression
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 of my articles on depression self help
*Wium-Andersen M, Ørsted D, Nielsen S, Nordestgaard B. Elevated C-Reactive Protein Levels, Psychological Distress, and Depression in 73 131 Individuals. Elevated CRP Levels and Psychiatric Illness. Archives of General Psychiatry, 2012; DOI: 10.1001/2013.jamapsychiatry.102
Pay it forward and help or be helped...
Can you help or support someone else, or do you need help yourself?
Post as a guest (anonymously or with your real name) or use your Facebook, G+ or Twitter account...
(Please note: spammy comments, including spell-caster ones, are never published)