Ideas for Valentine's Day
If you want to make Valentine's Day really special, how about a truly personal and unique gift for your partner...
Valentine's Day poem?
Rather than copying a Valentine's poem - made up by someone else and perused by the masses - I have a suggestion for a very personal Valentine's present, which your partner is likely cherish for years to come; a 'gratitude letter'.
The notion of deliberately setting out to write down all the reasons for you to be grateful comes from the field of positive psychology. Research clearly shows that it has a wonderfully uplifting effect on the writer's mood (see links in Part 3). Of course the receiver benefits too. Double whammy!
And guess what...? You can make it into a free printable Valentine's card with an ordinary word-processing program if you're short of funds. The Valentine's pictures on this page come from artists who've made their work freely available on stock.xchng, so it is easy for you to 'jazz up' your special letter with just the right images.
A very personal Valentine's Day card
Here are some ideas on what you can write about in the special gift of a Valentine's Day letter:
- what characteristics you particularly love about your partner
- what you particularly admire in him/her
- the positive differences your partner has made in your life this year
- what you feel when you think of him/her in the middle of your working day (I know... if you tend to think of your troubles, leave this one out!)
- what your thoughts are in anticipation of seeing him/her (same as the previous one)
- remember two or three special times such as events/experiences during the past year of your being together
- describe exactly what was special about those times
- mention details about what your partner's role was in making it special for you personally
- remember this is the time to really focus on the highlights, on the positives, on your partner
Flick through some old photos to remind yourself of some of your best moments together. The best ones? Just remember how much attention you were giving each other at that moment.
Most importantly of all...
write how grateful you are for all of these 'gifts' - not only now, on Valentine's Day, but throughout the year.
Once you've done that all you need to do is print it off, find an envelope and raid the garden for a few sprigs or flowers to decorate it (though a red rose would really be the icing on the cake of course!).
Valentine's Day and beyond...
Of course, there is far more to your relationship than just one day in the calendar! Click here for Part 3 to discover the importance of individual individed attention, and what to do if you've realised your relationship might be in trouble.
Get an expert to help you now...
Your problem is never too small or too big, too silly or too complicated to ask for help from a professional counsellor (connect for FREE for 7 days, as often as you like - chat, phone or email).
Connect now and get your problem sorted in 3 easy steps:
- Click the image below and fill in the simple online questionnaire (it takes just a few minutes)
- Tick what kind of counsellor you'd like (2 short questionnaires)
- Confirm that you're as sincere as your counsellor will be and enter your credit card details (no payment will be taken, unless you want to carry on beyond the 7 days free*).
Don't need help beyond the first week? Simply cancel your subscription.
*If you can afford it - do extend your subscription beyond the first week. You won't believe what a breath of fresh air it is to have a professional by your side!
Click the image below now to start...
Found this page helpful?
Click 'Like' now...
Wanted to comment?
I did have a comment section, but it made my site load too slow.
I've made sure though that you can get qualified help.
Do read on...
Hello you! :-)
It's me - Elly Prior, I'm the Founder and Author of this site. I'm a 'real' person! I'm hoping to make a positive difference, small or large, to every person who visits my site.
I suspect you may be looking for help. There are counsellors waiting to help you right now. So, do connect with an expert counsellor now and be as thorough as you like about what's troubling you.
You can talk with or write to your counsellor as often as you want on any device - 7 DAYS FOR FREE! (Cancel if you don't want any further help beyond the 7 days).