Human givens therapy
- a new approach to counselling
The ‘human givens’ approach is an ‘organising idea’. In other words, it organises and builds on well-established theories, principles and known effective techniques in counselling.
Maybe counselling or therapy was the last thing you ever wanted. Perhaps you don’t like talking about your problems, or you think no one can help you anyway. Maybe you've tried it and it didn't work.
Is it becoming increasingly difficult to hide your distress?
Have you run out of steam and finally feel willing to consider counselling, however reluctantly?
I'd love you to start off by learning a little more about The Human Givens. I'll still be here when you come back.
10 benefits of human givens therapy
Human givens therapy can help you to:
- Feel happier, lighter and more energetic
- Understand why you were depressed and how to prevent it
- Feel calmer
- Find relief from (traumatic) stress symptoms
- Feel better - recover from fears and phobias or heal trauma
- Find relief from previously ‘bottled up’ feelings
- Enhance your social skills if needed
- Meet your essential emotional needs more in balance
- Increase your awareness of your innate and acquired resources
- Increase your confidence and self esteem
Many counsellors and therapists not trained in the human givens approach will want to use the first session as an assessment.
A human givens therapist will begin to help you feel better at the very first session. You can find a directory of practitioners via the Human Givens Institute.
Who can become a human givens therapist?
My human givens colleagues come from a wide range of professional backgrounds: GPs, social workers, occupational therapists, psychiatrists, counsellors, medical specialists, physiotherapists, teachers, head teachers and so on.
For more information, see the Human Givens College
Treating you differently
A human givens therapist works in a very solution-focused way. If you opt for this kind of counselling, a qualified human givens therapist will:
- make counselling/therapy as painless as possible
- not dwell on the past unnecessarily
- aim to help you to feel better after every consultation
- give information and advice if needed
- explain how your brain works with regards to emotion
- help you to access the same relaxed state as when you dream
- increase your knowledge without jargon or ‘psychobabble’
- use a variety of techniques as appropriate
- calm high levels of emotions as soon as possible
- encourage new understandings and solutions
- adapt the therapy flexibly and uniquely for you
- avoid using a ’preferred’ theory regardless of your problems
- support you when difficult feelings emerge without dwelling on them
- be aware of research in psychology, neurobiology and counselling
- help you overcome your problems in as few sessions as possible
- consider the effects of counselling on the people close to you
- teach you to relax deeply
The importance of meaning and purpose
Have a look at this fascinating video clip of holocaust survivor and psychiatrist Victor Frankl on the importance of meaning...
Now, almost 40 years later, human givens therapists also strongly believe in the need for meaning, and in your capacity - to fulfill your potential.
Human givens therapy
- effective, practical and research-based
There are hundreds of different counselling/psychotherapy models. The European Therapy Studies Institute (ETSI) was established to look into what makes counselling effective. The ideas that came from that research have been condensed into the human givens postgraduate diploma course.
Counsellors/therapists may be trained by respectable schools and accredited by professional bodies, however, this unfortunately is not a guarantee that their work is effective.
It's important to make sure you take the time to find the best counsellor for you. I can help you with this, so hop over to my page how to find a counsellor or psychotherapist for all the information you need to help you make an informed decision.
Evidence for the Human Givens Approach
From the Human Givens College newsletter:
This year The British Psychological Society’s leading peer-reviewed journal, Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice published a 12-month evaluation of the Human Givens approach in primary care at a general medical practice showing that more than three out of four patients were either symptom-free or reliably changed as a result of HG therapy*. This was accomplished in an average of only 3.6 sessions, significantly better than the recovery rate published for the UK government’s flagship IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) programme, which uses therapists trained in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT).
Andrews, W., Twigg, E., Minami, T. and Johnson, G. (11 February 2011) ‘Piloting a practice research network: A 12-month evaluation of the Human Givens approach in primary care at a general medical practice. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. doi:10.1111/j.2044-8341.2010.02004
What else do you need right now?
All the information on my website is free.
It may not be enough though. And when you're most in need - and free to choose - it can be hard to decide what other kind of help you need even if you have to pay for it.
I've done the hard work of finding effective and trustworthy tools. Feel free to choose from these 4 categories:
Pro-list of Emotions and Feelings
Problems? Don't know what to do?
Feeling desperate, stressed or depressed?
It's really easy for you to get your own online counsellor...
- ... BetterHelp will match you with the right counsellor
- You can contact your counsellor for FREE for a week as often as you want and get quality professional attention and support.
- Fill in the online questionnaire to ensure a successful match - it takes about 10 minutes (Yes, I know - you may find it little tedious when you're keen to get started, but it's essential!)
- To start your free week-long subscription -
enter your credit card details (it's safe and secure).
Don't need help beyond your first week?
Simply cancel your subscription - that's absolutely fine!
- If you can afford it -
give yourself a chance to deal with stuff once and for all and carry on beyond the week. You won't believe what a breath of fresh air it is to have someone on and by your side.
- Not sure if it's really right for you?
For further information hop over to my page on online (relationship) advice.
Or, start right away and click the image below...
Stay in touch on Facebook
Comments, reviews and feedback
It's me - Elly Prior, I'm the Founder and Author of this site. I'm a 'real' person! I'm hoping to make a positive difference, small or large, to every person who visits my site.
Do ask for help, offer help or review this page. I'd love to hear from you. Please keep it short.
To get support and advice by talking to an counsellor right now - please CLICK HERE.